Pages

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Ludacris "1.21 Gigawatts: Back To The First Time" Mixtape Review

“They say that real recognize real and I'm as real as they come Don't ever doubt me You ain't never seen, read or heard no fake shit about me I'm a G so all you hoes can either dig up and die while I puff the magic dragon Heat the weed up and fly.”

This is the opening bar from Ludacris' new mixtape “1.21 Gigawatts: Back to The First Time” which features 12 new original tracks with guests such as Big K.R.I.T., Wiz Khalia, Rick Ross, Gucci Mane, Waka Flocka, Meek Mill and 2 Chainz and featuring production from Big K.R.I.T, Juicy J, Drumma Boy and Fat Boi.

Coming off of a two year absence, “1.21 Gigawatts” shows Ludacris taking it back to the streets and giving the fans a raw mix tape. With punch line after punch line, bar after bar, Ludacris proves he is still one of the best in the game, all the while retaining his witty rapid-fire flow and clever lyrics.

For a mix tape, the beats on “1.21 Gigawatts” are better than usual. Normally mix tapes have lousy production but this is not the case here, as producers such as Big K.R.I.T and Juicy J deliver some incredible beats which are perfect for anybody who has some bump in their trunk.

The Big K.R.I.T produced “What You Smoking On” featuring Wiz Khalifa is a real standout track that is perfect for blazing. The keys to this track give it an incredible vibe and both destroy the beat as Luda spits some witty lyrics such as “on my way to the store to get medical marijuana Luda study more buddah than the Dali Lama.” Not to be out done, the Taylor Gang general speaks on what he knows and does best saying, “brownies, trippies, sticks and vaporizers we could smoke a bowl All these niggas smokin' weed around me it's a smoke-a-thon Crowded in my whip it's partly clouded cause we smokin' strong You say you can't smoke them joints probably cause you rolled them wrong.”

The other toughest beat belongs to Juicy J on the DTP meets MMG produced “Say It To My Face” featuring Meek Mill. A drip-drop beat that is slower for the verses and hard hitting and destructive for the chorus, makes “Say It To My Face” a straight banger in every way. Luda is vicious on this track and is in attack mode as he storms out saying “Before I end a MC I say my grace Leave you dead without a trace Got a problem with me then say it to my face!”

A track which had caught my eye a few months back and was the first song I heard off of “1.21 Gigawatts” was “I'm On Fire” featuring Big K.R.I.T. Big K.R.I.T., is one of the best up and coming Southern rappers in hip-hop today and will soon be giving Kanye a run for his money for the title of best rapper/producer in hip-hop. K.R.I.T has a crazy flow and spits fire as Luda speaks the comical “Eyes so low they think I'm Asian when I'm blazing Cause that purples on my chest like I'm playing for the Ravens.”

Ludacris does not play nice on “1.21 Gigawatts” and takes the time to address and diss both Drake and
Big Sean for claiming they created the pause-stop flow and that Ludacris stole it.

Starting off with the interlude “History Lesson”, Ludacris plays snippets of songs from Notorious B.I.G., Method Man, Kanye West, Q-Tip, and Cam'ron using the same pause stop flow throughout history before straight destroying them both on “Bada Boom.”

If you are a fan of Ludacris, then I absolutely suggest you download “1.21 Gigawatts: Back to The First Time” because the tape is real southern country shit and full of consistent Ludacris lyrics. The only downfall to the album, is that two of the guests Gucci Mane and 2 Chainz can not compete or compare with Luda and bring their songs quality and likability down.

Still, “1.21 Gigawatts” is still a great mix tape and if it is any indication of how Ludacris' upcoming studio record “Ludaversal” will sound when it is released in early 2012, then hip-hop fans should be very excited.

Ranked on the Beavis and Butt-Head Scale:
3.5 Beavis' out of 5 Butt-Heads

Songs I Recommend:
Muthafucka Can You Buy That, Bada Boom, Say It To My Face, I'm On Fire, What You Smoking On

Tracklist:
1.Intro
2.Save It For Another Day
3.Rich & Flexin' Ft. Waka Flocka
4.Muthafucka Can You Buy That
5.History Lesson (Interlude)
6.Bada Boom
7.Say It To My Face ft. Meek Mill
8.I Ain't The One ft. 2 Chainz
9.Shake and Fies ft. Gucci Mane
10. Do Sumthin Strange ft. Rick Ross
11.I'm On Fire ft. Big K.R.I.T
12.What You Smoking On ft. Wiz Khalifa

No comments:

Post a Comment