Pages

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Childish Gambino "Camp" Review

Donald Glover is a jack of all trades. An actor, writer, comedian and rapper, Glover's forth album and first studio record from a label “Camp” will be released November 15th, under the stage name Childish Gambino.

A regular on the hit NBC TV show “Community” and acquiring his name from an internet Wu-Tang name generator, one would assume that Donald Glover's rap career was a complete joke. However, this could not be more wrong as Glover does not make funny parody songs like Lonely Island but instead goes a different direction and provides listeners with an all out lyrical assault.

A graduate from NYU with a degree in Dramatic Writing, Glover has a unique advantage from everyone else in hip-hop. Putting his skills as a writer and persona of being a comedian to use, Glover paints great visuals and delivers humorous and witty yet intellectual rhymes on every verse on “Camp.”

With laugh out loud punch lines and clever wordplay in each song, Gambino is a tougher rapper then most artists out today who use hip-hop as their one and only career path, and he is doing it for pure fun. Having other career options, Gambino is able to say what he wants as an artist instead of doing what sells, and the result is a breath of fresh air from the status quo and staleness in the current state of hip-hop.

The owner of a very distinguishable flow and delivery, Gambino makes his own beats which allows him to master his own sound. Speaking on different topics then everyone else in the game right now, there is not a more innovative rapper in my opinion than Childish Gambino as he is constantly pushing boundaries.

Gambino also makes very relatable music and does it in such a way that his intelligence shines and his education is reflected in his lyrics.

Being a self-described “Blerd” (black nerd), most songs on the “Camp” reference Gambino's struggle and other black kids struggle growing up in a world filled with black stereotypes. One of the most powerful lyrics on the album come off of “Hold You Down”, as Gambino says “This one kid said somethin' that was really bad He said I wasn't really black because I had a dad I think that's kinda sad Mostly cause a lot of black kids think they should agree with that.”

Aiming to end the black stereotype, Gambino's art is a message of hope for black kids growing up in the world today. If anything, Gambino has proven that they do not have to do hood shit in order to succeed and that there are other paths to make their lives a success.

Going along with this uncool theme and making your life mean something, Gambino also boasts about his new found fame saying “girls used to tell me I ain't cool enough Now text me pics sayin' “you could tare this up” I don't really like shades, big rims, or jewelry But getting' time of day from a model is new to me Bein' me isn't as hard as it used to be”, on “Fire Fly.” Also, on “All The Shine”, Gambino speaks on how being on his own was the best thing to happen to him, as it not only got him to where he is today but also helped him develop his skills better than most as he raps “I always wanted to be picked on the cool team But alone is exactly how I should be.”

To me, “All The Shine” is the essential song to sum up Childish Gambino as an artist. Featuring the greatest beat on the album and a beautiful chorus, Gambino raps as himself and is real saying “I'm not trying to come hard, I'm just trying to come me.” Unfortunately, not enough artists in any genre of music are doing this and instead they suffer since they do not stand out.

“All The Shine”, also showcases Gambinos lyrical potency as he delivers some amazing metaphors in the song. Lines such as “cause I ain't Mumford, I ain't tryin' to have sons All I wanted was some Moore like Ashton” referencing folk rock group Mumford & Sons as well as Demi Moore and Ashton Kutcher. Another clever line was “I ain't Curren$y, but if there ain't money in my name please murder me” speaking about how he is able to make loads of money even though he does not have a literal “$” sign in his name like former Ca$h Money artist Curren$y both of whom have “$” signs in their respective names.

Another standout on “Camp” is Gambino's first single “Bonfire” which debuted on Funk Master Flex's radio show. Nothing short of a lyrical exercise, if you had any doubts about Gambino's skills has a rapper look no further then here as Gambino goes hard the entire song. With more awesome punch lines, Glover says “butcher and I know it, man kill beef go HAM These rappers are afraid of him Cause I'm a beast, bitch Gir, Invader Zim” or when he addresses haters with “or you can fuckin' kiss my ass, Human Centipede.”

While these lines are each individually great, my favorite line on “Camp” is Gambino's line towards the end of “Bonfire” when he says “the shit I'm doing this year? Insanity! Made the beat then murdered it Casey Anthony.”

Overall, “Camp” is a brilliant album by Childish Gambino which will probably be overshadowed by bigger name releases such as Drake and Mac Miller, which is a real shame because “Camp” is a great record.

Full of smart and funny raps, “Camp” is a record which will be in heavy rotation for me until the end of the year. Nothing is soft or cuddly on “Camp” and Gambino acknowledges it saying “yeah these niggas wanted Cookie but instead I gave them Loch Ness” declaring himself a lyrical beast.

“Aimin' for the throne, Jay and Ye said to watch that” Gambino is a star on the rise and is intelligent and talented enough to make himself a star in hip-hop. Although haters still might not want to give him his due, Gambino will continue to prove them wrong as I expect him to only get better in time and as he says “told me I was shit, but that couldn't stop me Nigga still hungry, black Kobayashi!”

Ranked on the Beavis and Butt-Head Scale:
3.5 Beavis' out of 5 Butt-Head's

Songs I Recommend:
Fire Fly, Bonfire, All The Shine, Backpackers, Hold You Down

Tracklist:
1.Outside
2.Fire Fly
3.Bonfire
4.All The Shine
5.Letter Home
6.Heartbeat
7.Backpackers
8.L.E.S
9.Hold You Down
10.Kids (Keep Up)
11.You See Me
12.Sunrise
13.That Power

No comments:

Post a Comment