Pages

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

"Rope! I Wish I Had A Rope!"

                Family, friends and loved one are going to be missed dearly if you are ever stuck on a deserted island, kidnapped in the wild or lost during a routine hiking adventure. However, as much as you miss and wish you had your close ones near you, you are going to be wishing you had rope more.
                I’m sure all of you who have just read that sentence are probably thinking, “Rope is the last thing I’d want, this kid is crazy, and the doctors’ better check his meds and tighten up his straight jacket.”
But I kid you not and I am not crazy, just half insane and half psychotic. Still, I swear on my mother’s undead grave that if you are ever lost in the wilderness you are going to want rope.
                The benefits of having rope are beyond comprehension as it is one of the most versatile tools and objects one could possess. You can use a rope to climb trees, platforms, boulders, and mountains and could also use it to descend down areas such as pits, and caves. If lost in a deep passage, a rope would come in handy as you use it to not only lower yourself down but also as a means to retrace your way in the complete darkness.
                Another benefit of the rope is too make your way across one gap to the other. Say you are stuck on one part of the ending land and reaching the next part of land is through a large high-up gap. You can hope and pray to whichever spiritual being you hold in power, for a bridge, but if one is not available, guess which item you’re going to wish you had in your possession. In this circumstance, you can tie and lasso one side of the rope to the other and secure the ending and monkey bar your way across the opposing gaps to safety.
                Still, I bet you are continuing to fight my reasoning and think a rope is still pointless, but wait, the usefulness of a rope is not over yet. A rope could also be used as a weapon.
 “Okay, this kid is really off his rocker now. A rope in no way, shape, or form could be a weapon.”
Alas! You are mistaken, a rope could very effectively be used as weapon, especially if you hold both ends and use it as a strangulation device.
“Doctor! Help!”
                No, I am not a deranged serial killer who spends his nights thinking about different creative ways to kill and torture his victims. Well at least not ALL of my nights.
But, a rope as a weapon could be very useful if your gun is out of ammo and your knife is dull and useless. I bet your stomach will thank you for the rope after you use it to catch your prey and make a decent meal for yourself. You can also use a rope to go fishing, just find twigs to create a basket and dump it into the water and there you go, instant fishing pole.
                Other so called necessary items can all be found in the wild if needed be. Matches or a lighter is unimportant, since you can very easily create a fire with twigs and wood just by rubbing them together. You can create yourself a knife, by carving a bark or a log with a stone.  All a human being needs to survive is water, so food is even out of the question, as long as some type of aqua is available. The only object you cannot successfully and confidently recreate is the good, old fashioned, sturdy rope.
                This may seem as complete silliness, but it is actually extremely accurate. I’m sure by now you are reconsidering your judgment about the value of having a rope at your disposal. I find it a little disturbing, that children who have spent countless hours in the boy scouts, learning about the all too important scouts honor disvalue the importance of a rope.
                I have been to a cub scout meeting once in my life and the only reason I joined and attended that meeting was so I could enter my car in the pinewood derby race. After the gate to my car decided not to open and my car was never released from the start, I decided the cub scouts were just a big conspiracy and I wanted nothing to do with them ever again.
                It seems my assessment of them was half correct and they were not completely operated by the anti-Christ, after I tasted one of the girl scouts cookies. Anything that delicious, wholesome and good could not be evil, so I reassessed my opinion of them to a less negative approach and today I can proudly say I almost forgive them for ruining my pinewood derby race career.
                However, I am still five hundred percent confident that I would be able to lead a team out of danger and desperation as long as I had a rope. Having a rope as your trusty co-pilot in any situation is the number one key to surviving.
                Sam Gamgee said it best, “Rope! I need a rope, I’m going for sure to want it when I don’t have it.” Yes, Sam Gamgee you are correct. If you are not going to take my advice, at least take the advice of the hobbit, that had the common sense to remember to bring a rope with him on his journey from the Shire to Mount Doom to destroy the One Ring. If that epic journey is not convincing enough, I pray to the heavens above that you are a wizard like me and are able to enchant your way out of any harmful circumstance.
 But if you are not, and I doubt you are since us wizards do not breed with such creatures as your human race then next time you go on an adventure, make sure to bring rope along with you, cause like the hobbit said, you’re going to want it when you don’t have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment